This 9′ – 5 5/8oz Phillipson Paramount is in Very Good+, all original condition. The only marking besides “Phillipson Paramount” on the shaft is the number “48”. This could indicate either the employee who finished the rod or the year it was produced.
All sections are straight and the 18% nickel silver ferrules separate cleanly. Appears to be original varnish with only minor blemishes. Wraps are pure black & white jasper silk tipped with gold, black and gold. The brown plastic reel seat is in great condition with average wear on the end cap. The Phillipson “patent pending” elliptical grip is clean and shows very little wear. Comes with replacement cloth bag and replacement aluminum tube.
The 1947 -1948 Catalog (pictured below) shows the Phillipson Paramount 9′ – 5 5/8oz as one of six models offered that year. Also available in 7′, 7.5′, 8′, 8.5′ and 9′-6.25oz lengths.
ABOUT THE PHILLIPSON PARAMOUNT
The Paramount is the second-highest grade in the Phillipson line. It was introduced in 1947 and remained in the lineup until the early 1950’s when the the bamboo embargo had a dramatic effect on the availability of Tonkin Cane.
As introduced in the 1947 -1948 Catalog, “A very high grade angler’s model, perfectly matched for color and balance to the expert’s taste.” Each Paramount has the “exclusive Phillipson natural grip (patent pending)”—aka the Elliptical grip. Bait casting rods were also available in the Paramount grade.
Beginning in 1947, the first Paramounts were outfitted with “brown plastic and metal locking reel seats”. Ferrules were 18% nickel silver. Perfection chrome plated butt guide and tip tops. Tungsten steel snake guides. Wrapped in the finest silk “black and white jasper tipped with gold, black and gold”. Packed in cloth and aluminum case.
The Paramount was unchanged according to the 1949 Catalog, however, the 1950 Catalog announces a significant change from a brown plastic reel seat to “brown anodized aluminum locking reel seat”—a change that saved a tremendous amount of weight.
As noted in the 1951 Catalog, the wraps on all Paramounts were simplified to “black and white jasper thread tipped with gold and black”. Also announced was the switch from tungsten steel line guides to stainless steel. This year marks the 5th year in business where rods were inked with a “51” after the grade name.
Paramounts from the 1952 Catalog remained the same as 1951. This was the final last year that varnished bamboo rods were listed in the catalogs, however, Phillipson continued to supply its dealers into 1954 until inventories were exhausted.
PHILLIPSON ADVERTISING IN THE LATE 1940’S
Phillipson Rod and Tackle Co. began to advertise beginning in April of 1947. This first ad appeared in Field & Stream magazine and states that rods are “NOW AVAILABLE”. It listed three “Exclusive Features” that sets their rods apart: Natural Grip (often referred to now as the “Hammer Handle”), Neverbreak Glue Joints (considered “waterproof” from the Resorcenol Glue), and Personal Craftsmanship (built by expert casters). The 1947 -1948 Catalog is pictured at the bottom and was offered for FREE upon request.
Gart Bros. Sporting Goods was an early distribution partner for Phillipson Rods and even advertised their availability in April 1947—the same time Phillipson began advertising.
1947 and 1948 ads show the Phillipson address as East 27th Ave, Denver Colorado, and then in 1949 the address changed to High Street, Denver, Colorado.