PHILLIPSON ADVERTISING IN THE LATE 1940’S
Phillipson Rod and Tackle Co. began to advertise beginning in April of 1947. This first ad appeared in Field & Stream magazine and states that rods are “NOW AVAILABLE”. It listed three “Exclusive Features” that sets their rods apart: Natural Grip (often referred to now as the “Hammer Handle”), Neverbreak Glue Joints (considered “waterproof” from the Resorcenol Glue), and Personal Craftsmanship (built by expert casters). The 1947 -1948 Catalog is pictured at the bottom and was offered for FREE upon request.
Gart Bros. Sporting Goods was an early distribution partner for Phillipson Rods and even advertised their availability in April 1947—the same time Phillipson began advertising.
1947 and 1948 ads show the Phillipson address as East 27th Ave, Denver Colorado, and then in 1949 the address changed to High Street, Denver, Colorado.
All ads shown here were scanned directly from their original publications.
PHILLIPSON ADVERTISING IN THE EARLY 1950’S
Phillipson Rod and Tackle Co. ads in the early 1950’s followed a similar format the previous era, however there was one major change… The reel seats on the illustrated rods show the change from plastic to the “new all-metal ‘no-rock’ locking type reel seat”. This is also evidenced in the 1950 Catalog where 3 grades (Premium, Paramount and Powr Pakt) are listed with new aluminum reel seats.
This phase also represents a significant transition in rod design for Phillipson. With the weight savings derived from the reel seat swap, Bill Phillipson was able to add more power to the rods for the same overall weight. The earlier rods with plastic reel seats possess thinner tapers, whereas rods with the aluminum reel seats have enhanced swells in the butt section for added power.
Early 1950’s ads list the Phillipson address as High Street, Denver, Colorado.