The DeLuxe grade consisted of less than 2% of production. This GD9050 “DeLuxe” is in Excellent condition. Beautiful, deep ammonia treated cane with 3×3 nodes. Cut from the same culm. Wrapped in black & white jasper and tipped in gold. One wrap on the mid section has been redone. The varnish is in excellent shape with a few very minor scrapes. Stamping on the butt section reads “Granger DeLuxe” on one flat and “Wright & McGill” on another. All sections are original, full length and straight. German nickel silver ferrules fit snugly and separate with a loud pop. A new cork grip was fashioned by Mike Clark at South Creek Ltd. and still maintains the shrink wrap. Perfection chromium plated pear shape tip-top guides have a lot of their original varnish suggesting limited use. Chromium plated hardened steel butt guide. Patented W&M Granger up-locking nickel silver reel seat has a few minor scuff-marks (no dents), and operates very smoothly. It is stamped: “April 12th, 1938, Pat.No.2.114.107. MADE By WRIGHT & MCGILL ROD CO., DENVER, COLO. U.S.A.” Comes with non-original olive cloth bag and original Bronze aluminum tube (no label) with cap.
The 1949 Catalog (pictured below) shows the Wright & McGill Granger DeLuxe 9050 as one of seven models offered that year. Also available were models 7030, 7633, 8040, 8642, 9053 and 9660.
ABOUT THE GRANGER DELUXE
The Granger DeLuxe grade was first introduced in the 1st Era along with the Premier and the Special. The first recorded mention of the DeLuxe appears in Granger’s 1922 advertisements. DeLuxe rods from the 1st Era have an ornate signature wrap pattern and full intermediate wraps.
In 1930, the DeLuxe name was revived and used to designate the 2nd highest grade in the lineup behind the Premier. The 1931 Catalog describes the DeLuxe this way:
“The Granger DeLuxe is a truly high grade rod, ranking with the most expensive rods made. The rod is made by our own exclusive process, and meets the exacting standard or perfection we maintain for our very finest rods. It never fails to win the sincere approval of an experienced fisherman.”
Goodwin Granger DeLuxe rods of the 4th Era were available in 7 1/2′ to 10′ lengths (3 oz. to 6.5oz.) and priced at $35. There were no Tournament models in the DeLuxe grade. Each was outfitted with a sliding band reel seat with “GRANGER DELUXE” inscribed between two knurled bands. Grips were Coke Bottle shaped. Windings consisted of black & white jasper tipped in gold with 3 additional gold trim wraps.
Changes to the DeLuxe rods in the 5th Era included the new uplocking reel seat and a Western (Reverse Half-wells) style grip. The 1939 Catalog also introduces a new 2-piece 7′ model available in the Registered, DeLuxe and Aristocrat grades only.
Production of the Goodwin Granger Deluxe grade lasted until the company closed its doors during WWII in 1941.
Wright & McGill Rod Co. purchased Granger Rods in 1946 and resumed production of the DeLuxe grade beginning with the 1947 Catalog. It was offered in 7′ to 9.5′ lengths (3 oz. to 6.0oz.) and priced at $60. The DeLuxe grade made its final appearance in the 1952 W&M Catalog.
WRIGHT & MCGILL ADVERTISING IN THE LATE 1940’S
Wright & McGill began to advertise their newly-acquired Granger Rods beginning in August of 1947. This first Ad (Outdoor Life) states that rods will be “SOON AVAILABLE in Limited Quantities”. Evidence suggests that rods were finally available in “late 1947” corresponding with the release of the 1947 W&M Granger Rods Catalog.
This was followed in September 1947 (Field & Stream) with the tagline: “The ONE ROD Most Fishermen Aspire to Own”.
Both 1947 Ads show the W&M address as Forest Drive at Grant, Denver Colorado.
We believe that in 1948, Wright & McGill chose to spend it’s advertising dollars on Eagle Claw Hooks and W&M Lures as we have yet to discover any specific ads for Granger Rods.
1949 saw the reemergence of advertising dedicated specifically to Granger Rods with tall, 2-color tower ads. The 1949 W&M Catalog (“booklet”) is pictured on the bottom featuring actor Dennis Morgan. The W&M address is now changed to Capital Hill Station, Denver, Colorado.