ABOUT THE GRANGER PREMIER
The Granger Premier grade was first introduced in the 1st Era along with the DeLuxe and the Special. The first recorded mention of the Premier appears in Granger’s 1922 advertisements. Premier rods from the 1st Era have varying signature wrap patterns and guides are wound in black & white jasper tipped in gold plus 3 additional gold bands (like the later DeLuxe rods.)
“The Granger Premier is the finest rod we build. Its perfect balance, quick action, and maximum power per ounce or weight, satisfy the most exacting fisherman. the colorful beauty of its golden-brown finish, and the obvious quality of workmanship and materials win your instant admiration.”
Goodwin Granger Premier rods of the 4th Era were available in 7 1/2′ to 10′ lengths (3 oz. to 6.5oz.) and priced at $50. Tournament models were available in 9′ and 9.5′ lengths. Each was outfitted with a sliding band reel seat with “GRANGER PREMIER” inscribed between two knurled bands. Grips were Coke Bottle shaped. Windings were simple—single gold wraps with no trim.
Changes to the Premier rods in the 5th Era included the new uplocking reel seat and a Western (Reverse Half-wells) style grip.
The Premier remained the top grade in the Granger lineup until the introduction of the Registered in the 1939 Catalog. Production of the Goodwin Granger Premier grade lasted until the company closed its doors during WWII in 1941.
Wright & McGill Rod Co. purchased Granger Rods in 1946 and resumed production of the Premier grade beginning with the 1947 Catalog. It was offered in 7.5′ to 9.5′ lengths (3.75 oz. to 6.0oz.) and priced at $75. Interestingly, the 1947 W&M Catalog also shows two 9′ Tournament models offered in the Premier grade. The Premier made its final appearance in the 1952 W&M Catalog.